VCG | Visual China Group | Getty Images
A customer shows his iPhone XS Max during the launch of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max at an Apple Inc. store on the Nanjing East Road on September 21, 2018 in Shanghai, China. Apple Inc. released its new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max smartphones in China on Friday. (Photo by VCG/VCG via Getty Images)
Apple’s latest iPhones use components made by Micron and Toshiba among others, according to a firm that cracked open iPhone XS and XS Max.
Among the first detailed teardowns of the phones since their launch on September, the study by repair firm iFixit did not list any parts from Samsung and, as expected, no chips from Qualcomm.
Supplying parts for Apple’s iPhones is considered a coup for chipmakers and other manufacturers and Apple does not disclose which companies make the components while insisting its suppliers keep quiet.
That makes teardowns the only way of establishing the breakdown of parts in the phones, although analysts also recommend caution in drawing conclusions because Cupertino, California-based Apple sometimes uses more than one supplier for a part. What is found in one iPhone may not be found in others.
Qualcomm has been a supplier of components to Apple for years but the two have been locked in a wide-ranging legal dispute in which Apple has accused Qualcomm of unfair patent licensing practices.
U.S.-based Qualcomm, the world’s largest mobile phone chipmaker, has in turn accused Apple of patent infringement..
IFixit technicians also found components from companies including Skyworks Solutions, Broadcom, Murata, NXP Semiconductors, Cypress Semiconductor, Texas Instruments and STMicroelectronics among others.
It listed DRAM and NAND memory chips from Micron and Toshiba while not listing any parts produced by Intel, whose modem and communications chips are seen as the natural replacements for Qualcomm hardware.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’