In an excerpt from his inaugural speech, the Kentucky governor emphasized teamwork between both sides of the aisle.
Louisville Courier Journal
Ousted members of the Kentucky Board of Education will ask a judge to halt the board’s new members from meeting — a request that could thwart Gov. Andy Beshear’s campaign promise to swiftly fire the state education commissioner.
Beshear, a Democrat, issued an executive order Tuesday dissolving the board overseeing Kentucky’s K-12 school system. He then appointed 11 new members.
Those new members are scheduled to meet Thursday and will attempt to remove Education Commissioner Wayne Lewis.
But 10 of the board’s ousted members, each appointed by former Gov. Matt Bevin, will ask Franklin Circuit Court Judge Thomas Wingate on Wednesday afternoon to grant a temporary order blocking the new board from holding that meeting.
Their request is part of a larger lawsuit alleging Beshear broke state law by removing Bevin’s board members before their terms ended and without citing just cause for their removal.
The hearing is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.at Franklin County Circuit Court in Frankfort.
Read or Share this story: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/education/2019/12/11/ousted-members-kentucky-board-education-granted-hearing/4398706002/
- Education notebook – Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- California – Ravenwoode: Offering appreciation to health, education officials – Lake County News
- Education News – Texarkana Gazette
- US Department of Education Releases “COVID-19 Handbook, Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students’ Needs” | US – U.S. Department of Education
- The more you learn, the more you earn: education and poverty alleviation in Thailand – UN News
- Dep’t of Education issues emergency order waiving test requirement for seniors, series of adjustments – Florida Politics
- D.C. mayor proposes boost in education spending as she calls on schools to fully reopen in the fall – The Washington Post
- Faculty invited to apply to General Education Scholar Program | Penn State University – Penn State News
- US Department of Education Announces More Biden-Harris Appointees | US – U.S. Department of Education