WeGrow is in charge of running elementary-level “micro-schools” that have a focus on entrepreneurship, and operate out of WeWork spaces. Since announcing its plans for WeGrow schools in 2017, only one school is in operation, located at a WeWork in New York’s Chelsea neighborhood.
The WeGrow school is designed to be incredibly different than a traditional elementary school. At the New York location, the school curriculum includes an indoor classroom with a tree house and vertical farm; one day a week spent at a farm upstate to harvest crops; and mentorship programming and master classes from WeWork adults.
The admission process into WeGrow schools is similar to that of a private school, complete with an application and parent interview. School-year admission ranges from $22,000 for two-year-olds, to $42,000 for children ages five to 11.
“Learning is a lifelong process and we believe that education should not be limited to traditional options,” the company wrote in its S-1. “WeGrow is an independent elementary school focused on supporting the growth of children’s minds, bodies and souls through an integrated curriculum.”
It also suggested it could open more location, describing the Chelsea site as its “first,” and hinted at expanding in other ways: “We also expect to expand our education and learning programs to broaden the reach of our grow mission.”
WeGrow is currently a for-profit enterprise. At the time of the school’s launch, a We Company representative told Fast Company that WeGrow could transition to become a non-profit “at some point in the future.”
- [LLODO] Chauvin trial expert blames George Floyd’s death on heart rhythm problem
- [LLODO] FDA removal of restrictions on telemedicine abortions prompts celebration, safety concerns
- [LLODO] Capitol riot: Police officer won’t face charges in fatal shooting of Ashli Babbitt, prosecutors say
- [LLODO] Former California Democratic mayor charged with multiple sex crimes against child
- [LLODO] California school district to vote on whether high-speed broadband is a human right
- [LLODO] Maryland trooper shoots, kills teen who had airsoft gun and knife, investigators say
- [LLODO] Andrew Yang, NYC mayoral hopeful, heckled at Daunte Wright protest: ‘We don’t want you here’
- [LLODO] Suspect swipes CBS News van in NYC, goes on dangerous joyride