Wendy’s is entering the Twitter battle over which fried chicken sandwich reigns supreme.
On Monday, Chick-fil-A’s apparent subtweet of Popeyes’ new fried chicken sandwich set off a social media frenzy.
“Bun + Chicken + Pickles = all the ❤️ for the original,” Chick-fil-A tweeted.
Popeyes — which recently rolled out a new fried chicken sandwich — quote-tweeted it, adding: “… y’all good?”
Twitter exploded with a debate over the battle between Chick-fil-A and Popeyes fried chicken sandwiches following the exchange. Neither brand responded to Business Insider’s request for further comment on the social media feud.
Later on Monday, Wendy’s decided that it needed to add its two cents to the chicken sandwich conversation.
“Y’all out here fighting about which of these fools has the second best chicken sandwich,” Wendy’s tweeted on Monday afternoon.
Popeyes felt the need to respond to the second subtweet of the day.
“Sounds like someone just ate one of our biscuits. Cause y’all looking thirsty,” Popeyes tweeted.
Wendy’s quote-tweeted Popeyes’ tweet, adding: “lol, guess that means the food’s as dry as the jokes.”
Unlike Popeyes, Chick-fil-A has kept a low profile on Twitter following Popeyes’ quote tweet. However, Boston Market decided to attack the chicken chain on another front: Chick-fil-A’s new mac and cheese.
“Customer: Can I get something like Boston Market mac & cheese but mediocre? Other guys: My pleasure,” Boston Market tweeted, a clear reference to Chick-fil-A’s customer service policies.
Wendy’s and Boston Market did not immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for comment on the subtweets.
With Chick-fil-A’s rapid US expansion, the question of what chain makes the best sandwich is more important than ever. The chicken chain became the third-largest chain in the US by sales in 2018 with $10.46 billion in American system-wide sales and is steadily expanding, with plans to open its first store in Canada by the end of the year.
Business Insider’s Irene Jiang has taste-tested fried chicken sandwiches from Wendy’s, Chick-fil-A, and Popeyes, as well as mac and cheese from Chick-fil-A and Boston Market, in recent weeks. Her verdict: Popeyes’ chicken sandwich reigns supreme, but Chick-fil-A’s mac and cheese edges out Boston Market.
- [LLODO] NY Post columnist warns ‘lunatics are running the asylum’ as crime surges in NYC
- [LLODO] Pennsylvania governor who required COVID masks be worn indoors bans alcohol sales night before Thanksgiving
- [LLODO] New York bus driver honored for saving 4-month-old baby
- [LLODO] In a first for San Francisco, police officer who shot Keita O’Neil charged in killing
- [LLODO] Tennessee officers awarded for life-saving river rescue on day off
- [LLODO] Florida town fines protesters for megaphone use
- [LLODO] Epstein ex Maxwell isolated after prison staffer gets virus
- [LLODO] Professor offers to cook Thanksgiving meal for students alone on holiday
- [LLODO] NY Dems busted at packed indoor birthday party without masks, here’s how they reacted when caught