A seafood company is recalling tuna steaks sold in 16 states because of potentially elevated levels of histamine that could cause scombroid fish poisoning, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced this week.
The Florida-based Alfa International Seafood sold the affected wild-caught yellowfin tuna loins as either yellowfin tuna steaks or seasoned yellowfin tuna steaks at Baker’s Dillon’s Gerbes, JayCFood, Kroger and Payless stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia, according to the recall notice.
The products were sold between Aug. 20 through Sept. 7 with sell-by dates listed between Aug. 29 and Sept. 14.
Consumers have reported five illnesses related to the fish. The company said it believes they were isolated incidents, but it initiated the recall as a precaution.
Elevated levels of histamine can result in an allergic reaction called scombroid fish poisoning within minutes or hours of eating the fish, according to the FDA. Symptoms include tingling or burning sensation in the mouth, facial swelling, rash, hives, itchy skin, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Officials said anyone who bought the affected tuna should not eat them and should return them to the store for a full refund.
Consumers with questions can also call the company at 1-855-551-0118.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’