Despite having a great year in 2018, the trucking industry has been struggling this year, leading at least eight trucking companies — many of them smaller companies — to fold in the last eight months.
Most recently, Carney Trucking Co. closed on July 31, according to Freight Waves. According to Business Insider, the company employed 25 drivers.
The day before, on July 30, Terrill Transportation closed, putting 36 drivers out of a job.
Before that, two trucking companies closed on July 12.
In June, ALA Trucking also announced it was shutting down, which put 41 drivers out of a job, according to a report from CDL Life at the time.
Williams Trucking, which reportedly employed 48 drivers, closed up in May, according to Freight Waves.
In April, Falcon Transport — which allegedly employed 585 drivers — closed “abruptly,” according to Freight Waves.
The first trucking company to fold this year was also the largest company on the list. The New England Motor Freight — which reportedly employed 1,472 truck drivers — announced in February that it would file for bankruptcy and close.
Earlier this month, Bob Costello, from the American Trucking Associations, told Stuart Varney of FOX Business’ “Varney & Co.” that there has been a record driver shortage because the industry can’t find enough qualified drivers.
“At the end of [2018,] we did hit a record high [shortage,]” Costello said. “We hit 60,800 workers short.”
“There’s a lot of things that cause it,” Costello clarified. “There’s no doubt we have seen, even though the positive rates on marijuana are still very low, they have gone up. And even in states like Colorado, they’ve gone up even more.”
He said he knew of a company that had to shut down a terminal in Colorado because they could not get enough employees who could pass a drug test.
“It is a problem,” Costello admitted.
He made sure to mention it’s more than that, though. Finding people who are willing to go out on the road for an extended period of time is difficult as well.
FOX Business’ Blair Shiff contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’