My husband of 10 years and I live in the Seattle area with our 4-year-old son, two dogs, a cat, a corn snake, and the same roommate we’ve had for the past seven years.
Our ultimate goal is to reach financial independence in our early 40s, which is about 10 years from now. We have no plans necessarily to leave our jobs at that time, but we want the flexibility and freedom to make choices about our lives (including our employment) outside of the dollars we get from a paycheck. There is no guarantee that we will be able — or will want — to work in another 10 or 15 years, or even later, and financial independence gives us that security regardless of what life throws at us.
My husband and I work in the construction field, building affordable, sustainable communities in our very-high-cost-of-living area. We’ve always been fairly frugal — we got married for $3,500 and managed to buy a home at 23, and I paid off my student loans at 25. (My husband never had any thanks to his time in the Marine Corps.)
I went back to work full time when my son was 5 months old. With two full-time working parents (and my husband was working 50- to 60-hour weeks), life during the week was hectic and a complete blur. We spent money to make life a bit easier, but it didn’t really help. We were just busy and overwhelmed.
Things needed to change, so when my son turned 1 year old, we put him in part-time daycare and I cut my hours to 80% time. Our families help out the rest of the week, so I work five days a week, just shorter days. Having my afternoons free of work meant I then had more headspace to tackle our spending habits and create more intentionality in our lives.
Three and a half years later, our spending for a typical week looks like this:
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’