The digital health company SmileDirectClub is set to go public Thursday, a day after pricing its initial public offering.
The company priced its shares at $23 apiece, according to a source familiar with the offering. The share price values SmileDirectClub at $8.9 billion ahead of its first day of trading.
The Nashville, Tennessee-based SmileDirectClub sold 58.5 million shares, raising $1.3 billion in the offering.
SmileDirectClub sells clear aligners for teeth, an alternative to what you might get from an orthodontist. While it typically costs $3,000 to $7,000 to get traditional braces or Invisalign-brand aligners, SmileDirectClub goes for a fraction of that — you can either pay $1,895 up front or $2,290 spread out over two years.
The idea behind SmileDirectClub is to make straightening teeth more affordable by cutting out the steps of going in person to a dentist or an orthodontist to get braces or other alignments. The company was started by Alex Fenkell and Jordan Katzman in 2014.
In October, SmileDirectClub raised $380 million from the private-equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and the venture firms Kleiner Perkins and Spark Capital. The round valued the company at $3.2 billion, up from $275 million just two years earlier.
According to the IPO filing, SmileDirectClub’s net loss widened from $33.8 million in the first half of 2018 to $52.9 million in 2018. The company increased its customer count from 22,000 in 2016 to about 246,000 in the first half of this year.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’