The cost is roughly $3,000 a day, and the private firefighters tend to focus on prevention measures, The New York Post reported.
However, private firefighters are more likely to contract with insurance companies like USAA to offer mitigation services to customers. Sometimes neighborhood associations hire private firefighters, according to The Post.
|PCG||PG & E CORP.||5.00||-2.20||-30.56%|
Homeowners hiring private firefighters make up about 5% of the industry, David Torgerson of Wildfire Defense Systems told The Los Angeles Times last year.
Firefighting crews working for insurance companies do not just wait around for the fire to spread to the areas they’re protecting. They often install sprinkler systems and spray retardant, according to The Post.
When trying to fireproof a particular home, crews will take the time to rake away vegetation surrounding the home and close windows and vents, The Times reported.
Thousands of Californians have been ordered to evacuate their homes in the latest round of dangerous blazes.
The Kincade fire in Sonoma County had burned 26,000 acres and was around 11% contained as of Sunday morning. About 90,000 residents were ordered to evacuate near the Kincade blaze.
Meanwhile, the Tick fire in northern Los Angeles County had burned 4,600 acres and was 55% contained as of Sunday. Nearly all the 50,000 residents ordered to evacuate last week were allowed back home.
Conditions caused Pacific Gas & Electric Company to begin shutting off electricity Saturday at 5 p.m. local time for 940,000 homes and businesses in the San Francisco Bay Area, wine country to the north and the Sierra foothills.
FOX Business’ Paul Conner contributed to this report.
- DNC, RNC to test limits of virtual events as election enters final stage
- 2018 Cadillac CT6 owners get extended Super Cruise trial, report says
- Fortnite banned by Apple and Google: Everything you need to know
- Ted Lasso on Apple TV Plus: You don’t need to love soccer to love this comedy
- iPhone or Android? Your phone choice could be impacting your dating life
- Helter Skelter: An American Myth director Lesley Chilcott reveals the true Charles Manson
- 2021 Ford GT looks back on vintage endurance racing for Heritage Edition
- Get two free games worth $50 from Epic this week
- USPS is warning election officials that mail-in ballots may not arrive on time