It’s a sign of the times that such a statement needed to be made. In response to too many news stories about corporate greed and overreach, someone needed to challenge the doctrine of shareholder primacy — to say that corporations have more responsibility than just making money. Earnings should never come at the cost of human dignity, fairness or the common good. Monday’s announcement was the right thing to do, and long overdue.
But we’re also encouraged that Business Roundtable didn’t swing the pendulum of corporate function too far. The last of the five commitments they made Monday may be the most fundamental: to generate shareholder returns. A corporation, after all, is designed to do business, not to do charity.
We don’t happen to think those two things are at odds.
One of the greatest social goods a company can do is to become profitable. When companies succeed financially, they create jobs, innovation and growth. Conversely, when businesses fail to succeed financially, they cut jobs, abandon innovation and default on debt. It’s a simple formula: Healthy companies contribute to a healthy economy.
Of course, not every company that’s profitable is good for society. Companies with unfair labor practices, discriminatory policies or predatory vendor agreements are not the kind of successful corporations we applaud. A criminal enterprise may create enormous wealth for its owners, but do no good in the world.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’