SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — A Pacific Beach business owner is responding to a viral video of a worker’s violent confrontation with a homeless man this week.
The owner of B-Mo’s Sandwich Shop, identified as Marc L., posted a message to Facebook in response to the video, which shows an employee push a table into a shirtless man’s head, then begin throwing his belongings into the street.
The note read in part that while he is apologetic for the events that occurred, “this person has been rather malicious to our community for over a year now.”
“Let me reiterate, this is no excuse for the choices and actions of our employee. However, that being said, I would ask for everyone to understand that we love this business and the Pacific Beach community immensely … I sincerely hope we can all move forward, and learn an important lesson from these less than ideal happenings,” the statement read.
10News reached out to B-Mo’s once again Friday, but no one was available to speak. Employees confirmed the note was posted by one of their owners.
The employee in the video has not been named.
San Diego Police say they have opened an investigation into the video. Police are looking for the homeless man in the video to see if he would like to give a statement or cooperate in the investigation.
Karim Bouris, of Business for Good San Diego, says the video shows how quickly issues can escalate in the region right now. Business for Good San Diego gives businesses tool kits for what to do in situations with homeless individuals.
Other local business owners tell 10News they’ve tried to ask homeless individuals nicely to leave, but that doesn’t always work.
“There is an absolute moment where if you don’t feel safe, and if your employees don’t feel safe, you absolutely have to call the [police] non-emergency number first. And if you don’t feel like that’s the right thing to do, call 911,” Bouris said.
SDPD encourages people to call when officers are needed, but keep in mind that calls are prioritized based on danger to the public.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’