STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — Police arrested a woman Tuesday who is accused of stealing more than $5,000 in forged checks from a clothing store in Steamboat Springs.
Liberty Gray, 33, faces two felony charges, including criminal impersonation and forgery, as well as a misdemeanor charge for theft, according to an affidavit obtained from the Routt County Justice Center.
On Monday, Steamboat Springs Police Department officers responded to a report of fraud at Deja Vu, a retail store in the 600 block of Lincoln Avenue that sells second-hand clothing on consignment.
The owner of the business accused Gray of forging multiple checks in the past year and cashing them for her own gain, according to the affidavit.
An accountant with the business verified that Gray had written herself numerous consignment checks at work, then reversed the checks to put into her own consignment account.
“Gray would then keep the checks and cash them,” the affidavit says.
The owner said Deja Vu lost $5,542.82 in the ordeal, according to the affidavit.
To forge the business’ checks, Gray would use her boss’ signature to unlawfully authorize the checks to herself, the affidavit says. Gray then wrote herself as the recipient of the forged check.
She addressed the checks to her personal P.O. box in Oak Creek, according to the affidavit.
On Wednesday, Gray posted a $2,000 bond and has since been released from the Routt County Jail, according to a court official. She has a hearing scheduled at the Routt Combined Court for Oct. 15.
- [LLODO] Milder-than-average Thanksgiving week temperatures for much of US
- [LLODO] Tornado hits Arlington, Texas, causing significant damage
- [LLODO] Texas men killed in suspected murder-suicide over relationship with same woman: sheriff
- [LLODO] 27 Illinois veterans die of coronavirus in nursing home, prompting probe
- [LLODO] Yellowstone, Grand Teton National Parks see record visitors in October
- [LLODO] Portland police announce 4 arrests in human sex-trafficking scheme involving child
- [LLODO] Feds seize $3.5M in Mexican cartel cash, drugs and ammo in massive San Diego bust
- [LLODO] Florida mom allegedly forced young son to smoke from marijuana vape pen
- [LLODO] Oregon detectives release new sketch of woman whose skull was found on Mount Hood in 1986 after vanishing