- Fires in the Amazon rainforest continue despite a ban from the Brazilian government on burning.
- Roughly 2,000 new fires broke out in the Amazon rainforest in the 48 hours since the ban was enacted, according to data from the National Space Research Institute published by the Daily Mail.
- Over half of Brazil’s 88,816 fires from January through August took place in the rainforest.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
New fires continue to crop up in the Amazon rain forest despite the Brazilian government’s most recent efforts to stop the deforestation of the region.
The National Space Research Institute published satellite data showing that in the 48 hours after the Brazilian government’s ban on burning, issued Thursday, there were 3,859 new fire outbreaks, roughly 2,000 of which were in the Amazon, according to a story in the Daily Mail.
The institute also reported that of the 88,816 fires in Brazil this year through August, 51.9% occurred in the rainforest.
August saw global outrage erupt over the fires raging in the Amazon, with social-media posts from celebrities drawing attention to the issue. Brazil, however, has pushed back against the reports, downplaying the news and at times denying help.
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said his country would accept $20 million in aid from the G7 economic alliance on the condition that French President Emmanuel Macron apologize for calling him rude.
- [LLODO] Kansas officers hurt in ‘possible explosion’ in downtown Wichita
- [LLODO] Virginia hit-and-run kills off-duty police officer
- [LLODO] New York bars, restaurants suing state over coronavirus curfew get temporary OK to stay open later: report
- [LLODO] Louisiana police officer fatally shot over alleged mask dispute at high school basketball game
- [LLODO] CNN’s Brian Stelter forced to address Cuomo sex scandal after network delayed coverage of first accuser
- [LLODO] Lindsey Boylan calls on Cuomo to resign or be removed from office: He can’t choose his judge and jury, ‘we do’
- [LLODO] Nancy Pelosi calls Cuomo sexual harassment allegations ‘credible’
- [LLODO] Cuomo says he was ‘being playful,’ but admits he ‘may have been insensitive’ amid sexual harassment claims