MONROE, La. (KNOE) On the ballot for State Senate District 35 are incumbent Jim Fannin, Rep. Jay Morris and local businessman Matt Parker.
On the ballot for State Senate District 35 are incumbent Jim Fannin, Rep. Jay Morris and local businessman Matt Parker. Source: (KNOE)
Parker’s focus for this campaign rests on making the district more appealing to business.
He said he’s worried that a lack of business is leading to fewer jobs and more people leaving the state to find work.
“We’re educating these kids and they’re going to other states to work. So, in effect, we’re educating the other state’s workforce,” said Parker. “Of course, we’re paying for it, and then they’re leaving to go work in other states.”
Parker said in order for businesses to continue bringing jobs to Louisiana, the state’s tax system needs to be reworked. He said the state sales tax is too high, and the industry tax is against business.
Parker also said he wants to address the state’s “out of control” insurance rates. He called for a change to the way insurance rates are set.
“Let’s let the way [insurance companies] set their rates [be based] on actual driving instead of everything else under the sun that creates a higher rate for the consumer,” he said.
Parker said he wants to bring fresh faces and ideas to the state capitol.
“If we keep putting those same people in Baton Rouge and expecting a different result, well that’s the definition of insanity,” he said. “We have got to clean house down there, got to get some new ideas down there, and new energy, and new folks who want to change some things.”
- [LLODO] National Guard member takes photo with every US Senator: ‘I couldn’t believe it’
- [LLODO] Alleged Capitol rioter begs judge to send him home to parents
- [LLODO] California and Texas brace for Spring Breakers after Florida sees crowded beaches
- [LLODO] NYC mom enraged by teacher playing rap videos during Zoom economics class
- [LLODO] FDA warns against using head lice drug ivermectin to treat coronavirus
- [LLODO] San Francisco district to reopen after putting school name backlash to rest
- [LLODO] Despite palace fears, Meghan Markle has only ‘kind words’ for Kate Middleton in Oprah interview
- [LLODO] Bowling Green sophomore’s organs will be donated following alcohol-related hazing incident