Sometimes, though, it is about working with what wasn’t intended. Sometimes, the best business ideas don’t come from you, but from your audience.
They often know best
You have your vision, and your customers have how they want to be served. The two aren’t always in unison, but it is worth it to pay attention. As I say in a recent TED Talk, you have to let your idea out into the wild and often your audience will tell you what they need.
Again, this probably is not what founder Walt Disney intended. The audience showed the company how it wanted to be served, though, and the company adapted accordingly.
They can tell you what they need
The trend for using Ikea for hide and seek started in Belgium in 2014 and spread rapidly around Europe, with Ikea bosses initially allowing the events. In Holland an astonishing 32,000 Facebook users signed up for a game in Eindhoven, as well as 19,000 in Amsterdam and 12,000 in Utrecht.
According to The Scotsman, IKEA shut down the parties in 2015 citing health and safety concerns.
The challenges are valid, but so was the opportunity: Imagine having more than 30,000 people interested in coming to your store, but turning them away because the scale seemed too unmanageable. At a time when IKEA is reportedly losing customers, it sounds like an investment worth making.
It’s worth asking: What customers are you turning away because they don’t fit your vision? That could be the answer to your next financial breakthrough.
The opinions expressed here by Inc.com columnists are their own, not those of Inc.com.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’