Raising money for a startup in a competitive industry like cannabis tech is no easy feat.
Headset, an analytics startup for the nascent marijuana industry, raised a $12 million Series A round backed by prominent investors earlier this year and has signed deals with the market-research firm Nielsen and the accounting firm Deloitte.
Cy Scott, Headset’s CEO, broke down what made his pitch successful in a webinar moderated by Business Insider. He was joined by the brother-and-sister duo Morgan and Emily Paxhia, the managing partners of the cannabis-focused investment fund Poseidon Asset Management, which led the funding round.
In order to close the round, Scott said he had to put in the work and take a lot of meetings.
In the webinar, Scott said he met with 20 to 30 groups of investors over half a year while he was trying to raise his Series A funding round, “which is basically as many as possible.”
“This was right out of the gate,” Scott said. “Let’s do the pitch and see if we’re a good fit because it goes both ways.”
Thanks in part to all those meetings, Scott ended up raising approximately $6 million more than planned from three venture firms. All in all, Scott estimates it took about six months to close the Series A.
While founders are often hungry for funds, Scott said that the right investor-founder relationship could make or break a startup. You want an investor who’s aligned with your vision for the company.
“Obviously, you want to get an investor to provide capital, but you want to make sure that they’re the right investor,” Scott said.
While Scott said he could probably raise funds more quickly the next time around, a side effect from taking all those meetings was building relationships with potential future investors — even if they passed on the deal the first time.
“It helps to have that rapport,” said Scott.
- [LLODO] Possible tornado moves toward Florida capital
- [LLODO] Colorado woman accused of murder-for-hire plot had violent past with child, estranged husband: affidavit
- [LLODO] Utah deputies shot in the head during shootout outside jail
- [LLODO] Severe storm damages buildings in Florida Panhandle
- [LLODO] Former Iowa sheriff candidate accused of murdering police sergeant following tense standoff
- [LLODO] Los Angeles mother arrested after three toddlers found stabbed to death
- [LLODO] New Hampshire track coach fired for refusing to make athletes wear masks speaks out on ‘Tucker’
- [LLODO] Cuomo’s ‘New York Tough’ slogan seems mocked as ‘NY Touch’ in light display