Google’s next major update to Android has officially launched.
The company made the announcement on Tuesday, saying that Android 10 will hit Google’s Pixel devices first before rolling out to other Android phones.
If you own a Pixel smartphone, you can check to see if the update is available by launching the settings menu and navigating to the “System” option. From there, press the “Advanced” option and choose “System update.” If Android 10 is available for your phone, you’ll see the option to download and install the update.
Android 10 brings several new features focused on privacy, accessibility, and user interface improvements, among other additions. A new feature called Live Caption, for example, generates captions for any media with audio playing on your phone using on-device machine learning.
The update will also introduce standardized gesture controls and more privacy features, such as the ability to only allow apps to use your location while in use and a new dedicated section for privacy controls in the settings menu. There’s also a new Focus Mode that allows you to temporarily pause certain apps. A new dark theme is coming with Android 10 as well, similar to the dark mode in Apple’s iOS 13 update coming this fall.
Google unveiled Android 10 during its I/O developers conference in May. While the update is rolling out to Pixel devices starting Tuesday, the company says it is working with partners to get Android 10 running on additional phones this year.
Get the latest Google stock price here.
- [LLODO] Louisiana police officer shot, killed while escorting suspect from HS basketball game: reports
- [LLODO] Capitol security review to recommend additional officers, fencing: report
- [LLODO] Colorado synagogue bomb-plot suspect gets 20 years
- [LLODO] US Army crowdsources ideas to combat sexual assault crisis
- [LLODO] Yale student Kevin Jiang’s murder: Connecticut police obtain warrant for arrest, suspect at large
- [LLODO] Virginia police officer shot, killed during traffic stop; suspect dead: reports
- [LLODO] The 2021 hurricane season names and dates: What could be next for East Coast?
- [LLODO] NY Gov. Cuomo accused of sexual harassment for 2nd time