A high-profile Google Cloud executive is stepping down from his role, Business Insider has learned.
Google staff were informed earlier this week that Jeff Jennings, the vice president of customer engineering at Google Cloud, was stepping down from the role to pursue new opportunities, according to people familiar with the situation. It was not immediately clear if Jennings was leaving Google or taking a different role at the company. He was at Google Cloud for a year and seven months, according to LinkedIn, starting in 2018.
Before his post at Google Cloud, Jennings served in several executive positions at VMware, where he worked for 18 years. He started at VMware in 2000, just two years after the company was founded, and wound up as a key executive in its growing networking business.
When Google first hired Jennings, it stoked concerns that more VMware engineers could follow, Business Insider reported when he made the move last year.
At the time of his hiring, he worked once again under Diane Greene, the former Google Cloud CEO who had previously cofounded VMware. However, earlier this year, Greene officially departed Google and was replaced as Google Cloud CEO by Thomas Kurian, formerly of Oracle.
Within Google Cloud, customer engineers work with sales, product, and engineering teams. They help the sales teams solve technical issues for customers and introduce Google Cloud to customers by explaining technical features. They also help product and engineering teams come up with product enhancements.
Jennings’ role change comes shortly after Google Cloud changed how its salespeople would be compensated, aligning more with Oracle and SAP to have a greater focus on commissions. This change was made under Kurian and Robert Enslin, its global customer-operations president, Business Insider previously reported.
Google did not comment on this story. We’ve reached out to Jennings and will update if we hear back.
Got a tip? Contact this reporter via email at [email protected], Telegram at @rosaliechan, or Twitter DM at @rosaliechan17. (PR pitches by email only, please.) Other types of secure messaging available upon request. You can also contact Business Insider securely via SecureDrop.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’