In the 2010 census, Wisconsin had the highest incarceration of black males nationwide at 12.8 percent compared to the country average of 6.7 percent. A new program is looking to change this statistic.
Nationally ranked startup accelerator gener8tor and the American Family Insurance Institute for Corporate and Social Impact will start a new program in Milwaukee focusing on reducing incarceration and recidivism.
The event will begin with a panel discussion on issues and experiences in incarceration and recidivism. Speakers include Shanyeill McCloud, founder, and president of Second Chance Staffing, a Milwaukee-based company that facilitates access to employment, housing, and higher education for men and women who have nonviolent criminal backgrounds. Guests will then be invited to join targeted small group discussions about potential solutions.
Up to five teams will be selected for a gBETA Social Impact program guiding
participants from the idea stage through the development of a potential
solution, meeting twice a week for one month. Participants will receive free
co-working space at Nō Studios in Milwaukee which offers
a supportive social and professional environment. Following the program,
participants will receive ongoing support from gener8tor and the American
Family Institute to continue testing prototypes and building their businesses.
Ideal participants would be people with any of the following
- Curiosity and open-mindedness
- Openness to feedback
- Community organizing skills
- Expertise around formerly incarcerated individuals
- Experience with the justice system
- Technical skills in computer science, engineering, design and
Participants don’t need to have all of these — gener8tor and the American Family Institute will help build teams for success. Community members are welcome to come to listen, learn and contribute to the discussion as well. Those interested in learning more are encouraged to contact Lauren Usher, Director of gBETA Social Impact, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Watch your front porch with the Ring Video Doorbell for $80 and get a free Echo Dot
- Facebook to shut down experimental apps Hobbi, Lasso
- Walmart will soon open drive-in movie theaters
- 2021 Hyundai Elantra walk-around: There’s more to this sedan than bold styling
- 2021 Dodge Challenger SRT Super Stock is almost a Demon
- 2021 Dodge Durango is a mean-faced muscle SUV, even without the supercharger
- 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat is a 710 hp one-year wonder
- 2021 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat gets the Redeye treatment
- Apple Glasses leaks and rumors: When could smartglasses arrive?