Ketchikan Gateway Borough management is recommending that
the assembly reject a requested rezone that would allow a firearm manufacturing
facility and outdoor gun range in the Ward Cove area.
The borough’s Planning Department and Planning Commission,
though, recommend that it be approved.
The assembly will decide Monday whether to introduce an
ordinance allowing the proposed rezone to move forward.
The rezone from General Commercial to Heavy Industrial
would allow Elliot Enterprises to develop a firearm manufacturing facility,
with indoor and outdoor ranges to test the firearms they want to build. The
company also proposes offering the ranges for local law enforcement and the
general public, including training and safety classes.
Neighboring properties are primarily zoned for commercial
use. But there are some homes nearby, as well as a 20-acre site that the owner
plans to develop for residential use.
According to the agenda statement, borough management
recommends against the rezone partly because the proposed use is already allowed
under its current zoning designation with a Conditional Use Permit.
There also are concerns about the future residential
development, the site’s proximity to the Ward Lake recreation area, proposed
tourism development in the area, and a public walking path that is downrange
from the site. The agenda statement also questions the community’s need for
another gun range, and recommends that the public notice area be expanded due
to the expected noise.
Also Monday, the assembly will hold a public hearing and
second vote on an ordinance to raise the single-item sales tax cap from $1,000
to $2,000. The tax cap has been the same for about 40 years.
Monday’s meeting starts at 5:30 p.m. in borough assembly
chambers at the White Cliff building. Public comment will be heard at the start
of the meeting.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing