Syracuse, N.Y. — Eighteen companies, including one from Syracuse and four from Ithaca, have been selected to take part in the first round of the state-funded Grow-NY food innovation and agriculture technology business challenge.
The finalists were chosen from nearly 200 startups that applied to be part of the competition, which seeks the best ideas for new food, beverage or agriculture businesses. The competition will run for an additional two rounds and will award a total of $3 million in prize money to seven winners, all payable in stages based on business milestones.
The finalists will pitch their ideas to a panel of judges and a live audience on Nov. 12 and 13 at the Grow-NY Food and Ag Summit at the Rochester riverside Convention Center. Cornell University is administering the competition through its Center for Regional Economic Advancement.
Dropcopter, a startup in The Tech Garden business accelerator in Syracuse, made the list of finalists. It uses drones to pollinate orchards. The three Ithaca startups on the list are Capro-X, Combplex, Halomine and Whole Healthy Food.
These are the other finalists:
- AgVoice – Norcross, Georgia
- Independent Barley & Malt – Litchfield, Michigan
- Livestock Water Recycling – Alberta, Canada
- Nuravine – New York City
- Paragon Pure – Princeton, New Jersey
- The Perfect Granola – Victor
- Radical Plastics – Beverly, Massachusetts
- RealEats America – Geneva
- Re-Nuble – Rochester
- Simply Good Jars – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Slate Craft Goods – Westwood, Massachusetts
- Tiliter – Munich, Germany
- Varcode – Naperville, Illinois
The winners will be required to establish their companies within a 22-county area that includes Binghamton, Ithaca, Rochester and Syracuse.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’