- Movie theaters are changing, and that means once-popular concession candies like Red Vines, Sugar Babies, and Goobers are becoming harder to find.
- In an effort to modernize, cinemas are offering more expansive menus like gourmet pizzas and specialty cocktails.
- Luckily, many of these nostalgic confections are still available at specialty stores and online. Some independent theaters might still carry them.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’re old enough, you may remember that old cartoon where anthropomorphic concession-stand products ushered moviegoers to the lobby for snacks, singing “Let’s all go to the lobby.”
That cartoon, like many aspects of movie theaters, is a thing of the past. Cinemas have been forced to modernize to compete with more entertainment options, especially streaming services like Netflix. More theater chains are now offering payment subscriptions for loyal fans and changing up their menu with specialty cocktails and high-end meals like gourmet pizzas.
But don’t worry, popcorn isn’t going anywhere (in fact, it’s been a movie-theater staple since the Great Depression). While theaters will likely never run out of popcorn, some candies that used to be concession-stand staples are now harder to find.
Classics like Sno-Caps, Milk Duds, and Junior Mints might still be around, but others are slowly being displaced by these expansive menus. Many of the candies on this list are still found in specialty shops and independent movie theaters, though, so your local cinema might still stock enough Red Vines to sustain itself for years.
Here are 11 once-popular candies that are harder to find at the movies these days.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’