Bitcoin prices are holding above $6,000 on Friday after a 24-hour selloff saw the price of the world’s largest digital currency trade perilously close to the crucial support level.
A single bitcoin
was last going for $6,234.10, up 0.1% since Thursday at 5 p.m. Eastern Time on the Kraken cryptocurrency exchange.
Yesterday’s decline took the total value of all cryptocurrencies below $200 billion for the first time since Sept. 20, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
With global equity markets in the midst of a brutal selloff, industry onlookers are watching closely for moves in digital currency prices, with some proponents speculating bitcoin could act as a haven trade—digital gold some hypothesized.
But yesterday’s move put that notion to bed, for now. “There’s a narrative that the crypto market was simply falling in lockstep with the equity markets, which are slowly entering into correction zones. We believe this move in cryptocurrencies had nothing to do with the stock market,” wrote Thejas Nalval, Element Digital Asset Management portfolio director, and Kevin Lu, the firm’s director of quantitative research.
“Evidence has shown that there have been little correlation between global stock indexes and the price of bitcoin. Nor does bitcoin move on economic data.”
Read: Dr. Doom says bitcoin represents the ‘mother of all bubbles’
Coins other than bitcoin, often referred to as altcoins, are mostly higher Friday. Bitcoin Cash
was up 0.1% to $441.20, Litecoin
was trading 0.3% higher at $52.02 and XRP
is the best performing major altcoin, trading up 4.9% at 42 cents.
Bucking the trend was Ether,
the coin that runs on the ethereum network, which is trading down 2% to $193.60.
Bitcoin futures are trying to end the week on a positive note. The Cboe Global Markets October contract
was up 0.6% at $6,185 and the CME Group October contract
was up 0.3% at $6,200.
Read: Bitcoin whales aren’t responsible for volatility, research firm finds
Providing critical information for the U.S. trading day. Subscribe to MarketWatch’s free Need to Know newsletter. Sign up here.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing